About 3 years and 8 months ago, I have started working on Sector Six. And now it’s finished.
When I started working on Sector Six, I thought that I’ll complete it in 3 months. It was supposed to be a small sequel to Sector Seven. I wanted to make it just because I promised I’ll have a sequel to Sector Seven.
It was 2015 January or February when I have released an alpha version of Sector Six. I didn’t expect anything and I was surprised to get positive feedback.
It was enough for me to thinking about making Sector Six into a bigger game than I initially planned.
I said to myself: “People like this, and I can do much better so why not do it?” So I started working harder.
Hundreds of times I decided to rework something because it wasn’t as good as I could do, and I’m very glad I did.
Sector Six is not perfect, but it is about 10 times better than I imagined it in the beginning. And it is like that because of feedback. Every “Great game, but X could be better” made Sector Six better.
I always wanted to be a game developer and make games like Sector Six and I’m incredibly happy and grateful that it happened.
I hope that this is not the end of Sector Six. I hope I’ll be able to continue working on it and make it even better.
Sector Six was finished on 21st August. 22nd August was a bad day - I had problems with a monitor, so I had to spend an entire day fixing them.
This day I was testing Sector Six. I have already spent like 8 hours testing the game, and I have only completed half of the story.
Tomorrow I hope to finish testing and with luck, Sector Six version 0.9.9 will become available for everyone to play in the weekend.
Here’s a full list of what changed since the last Sector Six update:
- New save system.
- Compressed part rework: Parts received from drops, removed manual compression, added super compressed parts.
- Added 70 new achievements.
- Arcane Arsenal: Endgame activity.
- Infinity Instances: Endgame activity.
- Restoration War: Endgame activity.
- Added mission 14.
- The Machines.
- Loot rework: Bigger enemies now drop better parts, difficulty level makes enemies drop better parts.
- Ether rework: Ether properties now scale with level, ability ether costs increase with ability levels.
- Weapon rework: Nodes now reduce ability ether costs and pylons reduce ability cooldowns.
- Ability rework: Abilities now use same damage type and are unlocked as spaceship level increases.
- Added 12 relics.
- Added mission 13.
- Rebalanced ability points: 1 ability point per level.
- Added mission 12.
- Added mission 11.
Completed – Minor changes and improvements:
- Mission 6 boss fights now end earlier.
- Improved controller support.
- Added new particle settings: Now you can tone down particles, instead of turning them off completely.
- Improved optimization: Game will now run better.
- Moved tips to separate interface.
- Added evolving minion tutorial.
- Reworked evolving mechanic: Now minions evolve while attack abilities are not on cooldown.
- It’s no longer possible to use weapon amplifiers on engines.
- It’s no longer possible to sell items that have no value.
- Now it’s possible to use anodes on compressed parts.
- Rearranged achievements in the achievement interface.
- Improved Ionize ability: Now adds extra 2 alloy per ionized enemy, glitch free.
- Awakening of Inner Power ability now supports all mission types.
- You can no longer install alloy containers if their level is higher than your spaceship level.
- Now locked until spaceship level is higher than 4: Difficulty system, set interface, item management, new missions button.
- Improved/replaced certain sound effects.
- Secured region changes: Removed manual compression from secured region interface, added highlight toggle button.
- Improved shield particles, sounds, and animations.
- Shields now destroy ruins.
- Spaceship collisions with certain objects are now better.
- Improved cooldown and effect timer text: Now shows second fractions.
- Improved number conversion.
- Improved damage text.
- Reduced amount of units dropped.
- Improved region rewards: Now includes uncommon and rare rewards, such as five fractal parts, +200% experience, etc.
- Replaced gauntlet missions with new retrieval missions.
- Changed music system: Now tracks in side missions play regardless of area status.
- Changed time vortex: Improved dialogue, can only reset story, made it more accessible.
- Changed contribution system: No longer saved between missions, must be claimed immediately.
- Improved region destruction.
- Expanded dialogue box.
- Improved cathodes.
- Improved loot box: Up to 170 looted items visible, glitch free.
- Updated boss mission.
- Improved arena mission: Better loop, supports The Assault of the Modified and The Rain of Fire modifiers.
- Improved siege mission: New blocks, minor graphical improvements.
- Expanded credits.
- Graphically improved loot.
- Added region select screen and map key.
- Improved mission overview interface.
- Improved mission 1.
- Improved mission 3.
- Improved text input.
- Reworked tutorial.
- Reworked introduction.
- Added avatar customization: Name your character and choose how it looks in dialogues.
- Improved spaceship building interface.
- Reworked Super Shield ability: Shield lasts 8 seconds and increases armor generated on kill while active.
- Fixed inventory leak.
- Adapted backgrounds to screen shaking.
- Improved dialogue avatars.
- Improved settings interface.
- Added button that resets settings to default.
- Added button that resets controls to default.
- Modular difficulty system changes: Flow Stagnation maximum level changed to 1, rebalanced rewards, removed diodes.
- Reworked Creation of Energy and Channel abilities.
- Improved achievement interface.
- Repositioned mission interface.
- Fixed weapon amplifying.
- Improved ability bar.
- Made better ability icons.
- Heavy Shield rework: Now called Power Shield, no longer slows down spaceship.
- Improved ability and effect icons.
- Improved Kithalia’s Blight set penalty
- Improved barrager.
- Toggle XP gain feature has been removed.
- Improved Sector transition cutscene.
- Improved pausing.
- Improved HUD.
- Improved ability level scaling.
- Improved item management and filtering.
- Repositioned item management buttons.
- Stat page improvements.
- Virtual and physical weapon clarification and stats.
- New part properties.
- Improved part names.
- Higher grade parts are now more common.
- Relic dismantling rewards.
- Parts give less damage reduction and reflect chance.
- Parts give fewer wave chances.
- Improved item generator: Now produces more random items.
- Item changes: Changed diode cost, changed certain item sprites, improved item use error messages, improved tooltips.
- Fixed story mission X glitch.
- Reworked phase break mechanic: Gain additional damage after taking a certain amount of damage.
- Channel ability’s ether cost reducing effect now lasts 3 seconds, making Channel much easier to use.
- Cataclysm ability has been replaced with passive anti-shield ability: Breach.
- Renamed Phase to Phasse, to differentiate it from phase mechanic.
- Improved Aggression, Resistance, and Capacity: More powerful, more interesting, and consistent with other abilities.
- Decreased starter part limit to 6.
- Decreased starter maximum ether to 50.
- Starter engine now gives less maximum armor.
- Increased starter ability points to 10.
- While Guardian of a Thousand Worlds ability is active, Concentrated Fire recharges instantly.
- Improved alloy containers: New property, increased sell and buy price, reduced city stock.
- Removed filled alloy containers.
- Corrected W. warning button tooltip.
- Fixed engine glitch.
- Improved missiles that appear when player’s spaceship leaves the enemy range.
- Guardian is now more mobile.
- Potentially fixed Black Rain projectile problem.
- Region update flashes are now brighter.
- Veteran’s and revenant factory’s ballistic attacks are now slower.
- Improved dialogue system graphics.
- Oesa’s Radiance set effect changed, now base maximum armor is equal maximum ether.
- Damage bonuses now are applied to damage while Lodeon’s Ultimatum set is active.
- Fixed and improved certain set descriptions.
- Fixed many glitches.
Until the release!